Family Support Worker - New Families Program
Are you looking for a career with meaning; one that connects your personal values with an organisation that supports vulnerable and disadvantaged people in our community? Do you want to be rewarded with a competitive salary and benefits package; and receive training and ongoing development?
Do you want to make a difference?
Mercy Community is a not-for-profit organisation, focused on the provision of innovative and responsive services in the areas of child protection, family support, counselling, multicultural community support, community and residential based aged care and disability support services. We are a strongly committed team that works hard and truly lives our values – Mercy, Acceptance, Excellence, Dignity, Empowerment and Integrity.
The Families & Young People Services team currently have a casual vacancy for a Family Support Worker to join our New Families team located in the northern side of Brisbane. The New Families Program helps mothers provide quality care for their babies. The role will primarily be based in our Intensive Support House where mothers and their babies reside for up to three months. Occasionally, our Family Support Workers also provide support to mothers in their own homes.
We are seeking a passionate and caring Family Support Worker to support mothers to develop appropriate parenting and living skills that enable them to gain confidence in caring for their babies. You will build and maintain relationships with mothers, role model expected behaviours and support personal skill development. The Intensive Support House provides 24/7 support, so you will be required to work rostered shifts and must be available to cover all three shift times (8:00am – 4:00pm, 4:00pm – 10:00pm, and an awake night shift 10:00pm – 8:00am). One Family Support Worker is rostered on for each shift.
Due to the nature of this role, we are seeking applications from female candidates.
To be eligible for this position you will require (Key Selection Criteria):
- Relevant tertiary qualifications and/or previous experience working with babies and their families
- Demonstrated knowledge of the issues affecting clients of the program, including: child protection issues, family breakdown, domestic violence, adolescent and child development, attachment, homelessness and substance misuse.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and the ability to produce clear, accurate and concise written case notes and reports, meeting pre-set timeframes.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team and with a wider network of Departmental and other stakeholders.
- The ability to work unsupervised with vulnerable families and babies, providing guidance, supervision and support.
- Willing and able to work within a Christian context and Mercy Community’s mission, purpose and values.
- Intermediate computer and word processing skills using Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- A Queensland Drivers Licence (Green Provisional or Open Licence), ability to obtain positive notice in the Working with Children Check (Blue Card) and any other legislatively required personal history screening as required
- Evidence of current vaccination against whooping cough or willingness to obtain prior to commencement.
It is beneficial for candidates to have:
- A broad knowledge of safe parenting practices and child health/development
- A sound understanding of the Queensland child protection system
- An understanding of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, cultures and societies and the issues which impact upon them in contemporary society together with a commitment to culturally appropriate engagement and practice
As a Mercy Community employee, we’ll offer you:
- The chance to make a genuine difference in people’s lives
- The opportunity to increase your take-home pay by salary sacrificing
- Access to our Employee Assistance Program (confidential counselling service)
- Career pathways for those wishing to grow within the company
- A friendly and supportive work place
This position offers a competitive rate of $42.56 - $45.80 gross per hour in line with level 4 of our Enterprise Agreement.
We encourage and welcome candidates from all cultural backgrounds and recommend that you view our website and Employee Value Proposition.
To apply please head to this link: https://mercycs.applynow.net.au/jobs/MCS1081 and follow the prompts.
Applications must be completed online and include an updated resume and a response to the key selection criteria in your cover letter (maximum of 2 pages).
Please apply immediately as we are seeking to fill this position as soon as possible, applications close at 4:30pm on 8th October 2019. Please note that Mercy reserves the right to interview and appoint a suitable candidate while this advertisement remains open.
Please note that you must be eligible to work in Australia to be considered for this position. Employment is conditional upon maintaining a clear personal history screening checks throughout employment.